Saturday, December 10, 2016

The Sticky Note Spot

I am happy to say that my new unit project - on our mental health unit - is coming along great! We were supposed to use a creative medium to spread awareness about a mental health issue. I looked at the different topics: depression, anxiety, substance abuse, etc., and I realized just researching and making a video about one of these would make me kind of sad and have no real impact on the community. I wanted to make something that could potentially help with people suffering from a mental health issue, or simply going through something hard in general. In our circles in class (see science notebook), I have learned that a lot of people are going through very hard situations, and they often do not have anyone to share their issues with. Others are drowning in so much sadness and need some encouragement. And then there are those who are such encouraging figures, and could use a tool to spread their encouragement. That is why for part of my project I am creating "The Sticky Note Spot". The site in itself has been designed, I have just not made it known yet for people to start using it.





This is what the home page looks like, (obviously it looks pretty bland right now but it will not once it's convered in sticky notes!) and essentially people click the little black create icon to construct their own sticky note spreading their words of encouragement and kindness. My hope is that eventually the bulletin board will be full of kind words, and encourage whoever reads it. I think there is something special about people from wherever writing something to help someone else, and I think that can also encourage the writer.



Aside from this, the site also has a testimonies sort of aspect, where people can share their stories in an attempt to inspire the readers. Also, if someone is struggling with something they can share what they are going through and receive comments from others offering their encouragement. I have been in contact with Shaylene King, one of the leaders of "The Mean Girls Extinction Program", and she will be writing a piece empowering girls in particular, and is going to connect me to two others who experienced bullying who are willing to share their stories.




Finally the site contains and About page, explaining the purpose of the website.


This site obviously will only work if it becomes public and people contribute, so once we have gotten a few people Shaylene is going to blog about it to steer some traffic over here. I have also started a Twitter @stickynotespot, and will soon create an Instagram steering people over here. Also, we will soon be doing a public event, and I thought it would be awesome if we could get in in The Windsor Times and have them mention the site. Then obviously I will be telling the core about it and have people I know check it out.

As for the public event, I have been in contact with Julie Stern, the principal of Windsor Creek. We have arranged for myself, and a team that I will organize, to come to the campus on Monday 12/19/16 in the afternoon and spread a ton of sticky notes with kind notes throughout the halls. Then throughout that week the kids will be writing and adding their own notes. It works out perfectly because Windsor Creek is having their "Kindness Month" this month, so this fits in with everything they are spreading. If this goes well I am hoping to do a similar event at either Brooks of Mattie Washburn come January. Hopefully the weather will also be better so we can post them outside as well.

So currently I am working on finding people to write their inspiring stories, gathering people to help with the event, and working on the social media accounts for the site. As we make the notes and hang them up I will also videotape a feature to potentially post on the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment